Saturday, October 11, 2008

Black Butterfly

This one is called Black Butterfly.

This is way outside my norm. All this color is not my style but I wanted to try something a little different. I am trying very hard to push my comfort zone but it is difficult.

I started by layering the colors. I tried three or four different patterns before I settled on these arcs. Then I created the semi-transparent black boarder. I taped out and painted the transparent white box in the middle. Finally, I searched the internet for a good butterfly picture. This is a swallowtail. I freehanded the butterfly in pencil and then filled it in with the black.

The goal for for the strong contrast. The normally very colorful butterfly is black and the background is instead very bright.

I like it quite a lot and hope you do too.

Black Butterfly

No comments: